Serving the City of Puyallup and City of Milton
The Court lobby is OPEN
Monday through Friday
8:30 am -12 pm & 1 pm - 4:30 pm
Monday through Friday
the clerks office is ALSO available during court hours by telephone, mail, live chat and email.
When appearing at the Courthouse
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Puyallup and Milton Municipal Court is requiring that persons having business with the court observe the following social distancing and hygiene measures:
- If you feel ill, do not enter the courthouse - contact your attorney and/or court staff at 253-841-5450.
- Keep 6 feet from others while in or near the courthouse.
- All persons entering the courthouse must wear a protective mask or other face covering.
- All persons entering the courthouse will be required to use hand sanitizer.
- All persons entering the courthouse will be required to have their temperature taken utilizing the court’s non-contact infrared thermometer.
- If you have business with the clerk’s office, please proceed directly to the clerk’s window and leave immediately upon completing any business.
- To maintain social distancing protocols, spectators are not allowed in the courthouse without pre-approval of the judge, spectators may observe the proceedings by way of the virtual courtroom.
- Persons entering the courtroom must be seated unless instructed otherwise. Courtroom chairs are not to be moved.
- Do not approach the in-court clerk’s desk without permission of the judge.
VIRTUAL HEARING INSTRUCTIONS
To Join the Zoom Hearing by Video (Cell Phone, Laptop, Computer)
1. Open an internet browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer etc.)
2. In the address bar type in zoom.us/join and then click enter or click Zoom link below.
3. Type in the meeting ID (provided by the Court) and select ‘Join’
4. Type in the password (provided by the Court)
5. If you do not want to download the Zoom App, click ‘Join from your browser’ at the bottom (see example below). Otherwise, select click here or download & run Zoom.
6. You will be placed in the Municipal Court Waiting Room.
7. Upon entry into the hearing, please check that your mic is muted. Click ‘mute’ if your mic shows a line through it.
NOTE: If you get disconnected, you can restart these steps from the beginning.
To Join the Zoom Hearing by Phone Only
1. Dial (253) 215-8782
2. Enter the Meeting ID without spaces or dashes (provided by the court)
3. Enter the Password (provided by the court)
4. Record your first and last name
For technical Zoom help, please click the following link: How to Join a Zoom Meeting - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-Meeting
Puyallup Municipal Court utilizes a program called OCourts to generate electronic court orders. The court will provide defendants a hard copy of their court orders however, attorneys are required to sign up for OCourts. This request can be made by submitting an email request to: Courts@PuyallupWA.gov . Click here for instructions on how to use OCourts.
Live streamed Court Hearings for Public Observation
PUYALLUP MUNICIPAL COURT
MILTON MUNICIPAL COURT
THE OPEN COURTS PROVISIONS OF WASHINGTON LAW ALLOWS ACCESS TO COURT PROCEEDINGS. Remote hearings will be livestreamed via the Court’s YouTube Channel. Once on the channel you will need to click on the live hearing video to play. VIDEO OR AUDIO RECORDING IS PROHIBITED. The public may view the proceeding while it is happening, but is prohibited from recording the proceeding. Anyone who records the proceedings, other than the official court reporter, may be held in contempt of court. After the livestreamed session of court, the YouTube session will be permanently deleted and cannot be accessed. The official record will be the court’s own audio recording in the courtroom, which is required.
PUYALLUP MUNICIPAL COURT operational changes in response to COVID-19
Hearings are being held via Zoom, a virtual hearing platform or in person. Notice will be mailed with additional instructions.
- Arraignments for DUI and DV cases only
- Hearings to assure compliance with conditions of pre-trail release
- Testimonial motion hearings
- Disposition hearings on criminal cases when pre-authorized by the Court
- Jury Trials
- Other hearings as necessary, if set with prior approval of the Court
MILTON MUNICIPAL COURT operational changes in response to COVID-19
All hearings are being held via Zoom, a virtual hearing platform. Notice will be mailed with additional instructions.
Monday - Friday
1:00 pm-4:30 pm
The Court will be closed on the following dates in 2021:
- New Year’s Day, January 1st
- MLK Jr. Day, January 18th
- Presidents Day, Feb. 15th
- Memorial Day, May 31th
- Independence Day, July 4th
- Labor Day, September 6th
- Veterans Day, November 11th
- Thanksgiving, Nov. 25-26th
- Christmas, Dec. 25th
What if I have to file a document with the court?
The court will accept filings by e-mail to Courts@PuyallupWA.gov during the pendency of this order.
What if I don’t have an electronic device to appear via Zoom?
You may appear at the court for your scheduled hearing. A device will be provided for you. Please note, a face covering must be worn while at the courthouse.
What if I need to pay a ticket or fine?
Payments and correspondence may be left in the Court’s drop box located outside the clerk’s office. Do not leave cash payments. Payments can also be made online or by calling Ncourt. If you cannot pay a ticket or fine, please call the clerk’s office at (253) 841-5450 to learn about other options such as setting up a payment plan or receiving an extension.
What if I had or want a hearing to contest or mitigate my ticket?
No in person infraction hearings will be held until further order of the Court. Rules relating to the scheduling of speedy hearings are suspended.
Mitigation hearings or contested hearings may be conducted by mail or email where requested. The court may also schedule a virtual hearing via Zoom.
Click here for more information.
What if I have an appointment with my probation officer or case manager?
Contract probation or community court case manager for more direction.
As always, wash your hands often, avoid touching your face, and cover coughs and sneezes. Additional guidance on how to protect yourself and others is available from Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.
Supreme Court Order Closure
During this state of emergency, it may become necessary for courts in these counties to close, relocate. or otherwise significantly modify their regular operations.
The Municipal Court is a court of limited jurisdiction that hears only cases involving :
- Criminal misdemeanors
- Gross misdemeanors (domestic violence offenses, assault, shoplifting, DUI, etc.)
- Traffic infractions
- Parking violations that occur within the City of Puyallup or City of Milton
- Photo Infractions that occur within the City of Puyallup
Small claims cases, civil cases, name changes, anti-harassment orders, etc. are handled at Pierce County District Court.
For cases involving felony criminal cases, divorce, child custody matters, bad credit, and probate are handled at Pierce County Superior Court.
Court proceedings are open to the public and accessible. Parties interested in viewing hearings should review operational changes above. Due to Covid, most hearings are being live streamed via U Tube.