Applying for Permits
City Hall Closure Update - June 5, 2020
The City of Puyallup’s Permit Center shall remain closed to visitors until Pierce County enters Phase 3 of Governor Inslee’s phased approach to Reopening Businesses and Modifying Physical Distancing Measures. During this closure, however, the City Permit Center is committed to serving the customers and citizens of Puyallup by providing inspections as outlined below, as well as plan reviews and basic permitting services, including responding to all customer and citizen permit inquiries. Permit Center staff will be available during regular business hours remotely. You can continue to reach the Permit Center by telephone at 253-864-4165 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For permit intake, application resubmittals or questions about issuances, please contact the Permit Center via phone or e-mail and a staff member will advise you on how we can best assist you with your permit.
In accordance with Governor Inslee’s guidance for Phase 2 Construction Projects under the Proclamation 20-25 addendum for Phase 2 Construction, effective immediately, the City will be providing inspection services for those projects meeting the guidance criteria circumstances.
- Please reference the information provided by the Governor’s Office regarding guidance and application of the Phase 2 construction.
- Under the Phase 2 rules, all construction, including new work, is now allowed.
All construction, including those activities for which social distancing may not be maintained and the start of new construction projects, is authorized to resume. Adherence to the health and safety points in the guidance memo will be strictly enforced.
- Issuance of a permit by the City of Puyallup does not imply that a project is in compliance with the Governor’s order.
- Inspectors are granted the authority to determining if the inspection can be done safely.
Additional resources and references
- This notice may be modified please visit City of Puyallup Permit Center link for the latest notice. http://www.cityofpuyallup.org/325/Permit-Support-Services
- Enforcement activity is managed by the State of Washington. Workplace safety and health complaints may be submitted to the L&I Call Center: (1-800-423-7233) or via email to email@example.com. General questions about how to comply with construction safety practices can be submitted to the state’s Business Response Center at https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/2562f1caf5814c46a6bf163762263aa5 . All other violations related to Proclamation 20-25 can be submitted via at: https://bit.ly/covid-compliance .
- Link to Governors proclamations, amendments and language options.
- Link to the Governors Phased Recovery Plan
- If further questions do arise regarding inspection on a specific project, contact your City project inspector, or Building Official Ray Cockerham (RayC@ci.puyallup.wa.us 253-841-5585) or Assistant City Engineer Ken Cook (KCook@ci.puyallup.wa.us. 253 864-4177.
*** Permit Center Hours ***
Current option for payments: https://secure.puyallupwa.gov/
You will need a 6-digit customer ID # which will be provided in the "Ready to Issue" email sent by Permit Technicians.
Monday - Friday, 9 am - 3 pm
Effective November 13, 2018
permits from the City.
Research permit information; search by address; permit number; parcel number and other options.
Building Services administers the Washington State Building Codes, including building permit plan review and inspection services. Planning Services oversees the zoning, environmental, and subdivision codes. Engineering Services reviews utility and road improvement permits. Use the quick links to their pages for additional information.
Follow the steps below to ensure that your application process is successful!
Research the Parcel
- to submit a question to the Development Center staff.
- Call the Development Services Department at (253) 864-4165. Available between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, excluding holidays
Visit the Development Services Department
- Located in the Puyallup City Hall 2nd floor at 333 S Meridian, Puyallup WA, 98371
- Open between 9 AM - 3 PM, Monday - Friday, excluding holidays
Gather Submittal Items (Applications, forms, etc.)
Permit Application Forms Grouped by Reviewing Division:
- Development Engineering
- Electrical Permits:The Department of Labor & Industries issues all electrical permits, use this link to apply for an electrical permit.
Building, fire construction, mechanical and plumbing permits can be found in the Permit Fees by Category page.
Land-Use permit fees (such as subdivision, boundary line adjustments, conditional-use permits, and other land use permits) and some site development fees (such as clear, fill and grading permits and sewer connections) can be found in the City of Puyallup Fee Schedule.
Impact fees such as School, Park, and Traffic impact fees may be assessed for certain projects, but are calculated on a case-by-case basis.
Pre-application meetings are an opportunity for a potential applicant to meet with all the reviewing divisions (building, fire, planning, and engineering) and receive feedback about their development project proposal prior to submitting an application for a permit. The first pre-application meeting for a project is free of charge. You may request a pre-application meeting even if you do not own the property.
To request a pre-application meeting, please complete the application form below and submit application and any supporting documents to PermitCenter@ci.puyallup.wa.us
Submit Your Application
Submit applications and necessary submittal documents electronically via email to: PermitCenter@ci.puyallup.wa.us
If files are too large, still send an email with the subject line: "Request for Folder to Upload" and include a project name. A Permit Technician will create a folder in SharePoint for you to upload all submittal documents to and provide the link to the folder.
Track your application, pay fees, and request inspections
Click here to taken to the online portal where you can track your submitted application, pay fees, and request inspections.
To request inspections by phone, call 1-877-232-6456