31st Ave SE Traffic Calming Project
In efforts to reduce vehicular speed and increase pedestrian safety along the 31st Avenue SE corridor, The City is going to be installing traffic calming devices at three locations along 31st Ave SE. The following devices will be installed:
- Speed Table located southwest of the intersection of 31st Avenue SE and 18th Street SE
-Speed Table located east of the intersection of 31st Avenue SE and Larkspur Road
-Raised Crosswalk located west of the intersection of 31st Avenue SE and Thornhill Road
Construction is scheduled to begin Tuesday, October 10th and last until the end of October. Motorists should be aware of crew members, equipment and any detoured pedestrians with special caution being given to students and young children.
It is currently planned to temporarily close the north access to Ferrucci Junior High School between October 12th through October 16th to install new concrete sidewalk. This work is weather dependent and could require a modified closure schedule. Efforts will be made to coordinate any change in schedule with Puyallup School District to promptly notify students and parents.
Project Progress Photos
Location of Future Curb Ramp at 31st Ave SE and Thornhill Road
Construction of North Curb Ramp at 31st Ave SE and Thornhill Road
Completed North Curb Ramp at 31st Ave SE and Thornhill Rd
Location of Future South Curb Ramp at 31st Ave SE and Thornhill Rd
Completed South Curb Ramp at 31st Ave SE and Thornhill Rd
31st Ave SE Pavement Installation
Completed Raised Crosswalk at 31st Ave SE and Thornhill Rd
Project Status Updates
- October 31, 2017 - Speed tables and raised crosswalk have been substantially completed! Pavement striping will completed on the speed tables once materials and weather permits. The concrete curb channel located on the raised crosswalk is still utilizing temporary plyboard sheeting. Please use extra caution when using this crossing until final covering is installed. Final curb channel grate installation is still expected to be completed in early November. Thank you for your continued patience and involvement in helping this project become a reality! Once City Council has accepted the project as complete, our Traffic Department will be scheduling a follow-up speed analysis to compare vehicular speeds, pre and post traffic calming device installation.
- October 19, 2017 - Sidewalk modifications have been completed at the future location of the raised crosswalk at the intersection of 31st Ave SE and Thornhill Rd. Temporary plyboard sheeting has been installed over two stormwater curb channels. Final plating is expected to be installed in early November. Please use caution when using this crossing. Due to unexpected weather delays, paving is expected to be completed the week of October 23rd.
- October 12, 2017 - Construction has begun at the intersection of 31st Ave SE and Thornhill Rd to install a raised crosswalk. Please use caution while driving and walking in this area as pedestrian pathways have temporarily been modified due to necessary sidewalk closures. Sidewalks are expected to reopen Monday, October 16th.
- October 3, 2017 - Mailers were sent to citizens who participated in the 31st Avenue SE Traffic Calming Project Ballot notifying them of project progress. Click Here to view image of mailer sent. Thank you for your involvement and participation in identifying 31st Ave SE as a qualifying Neighborhood Collector to be added to the City of Puyallup's Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program (NTCP). We greatly appreciate your continued patience and look forward to installing traffic calming devices in efforts to improve pedestrian safety and reduce vehicular speeds in your area.